If you have ever taken a real ballet class you know that there is a strict dress code and that includes hair. Ballerinas are called bunheads for a reason. A ballet bun is not a simple updo you can do in a couple seconds. A proper bun requires pins, hairnets and lots and lots of hairspray! Not one strand should be out of place, and the bun should be as perfectly symmetrical as possible...like a Cinnabun!
Putting my hair in a bun day after day was maybe the thing that I grew to hate the most about ballet. When you are doing it everyday it can take a major toll on your locks. Not to mention, I spent the majority of my life telling hair dressers not to cut my hair too short. "I have to be able to get it into a bun!" That was my haircut mantra.
On that rebellious note, I give you the 3rd installment of the Bad Ballerina Series:
The Messy Bun!
Disclaimer: do not try this in ballet class, your teacher will have a fit! ;)
Here is the how to~
* Gather hair into a high ponytail, but do not pull the strand all the way through the last time so you are left with a loop of hair.
* Pull sides of loop to make rubber band extra tight and fan out your loop of hair as much as possible.
* Take bottom of the loop and loosely flatten against scalp in front of rubber band.
* Take just a few bobby pins and pin loop of hair randomly to head and in different directions.
* Pull out a few strands of hair to give your bun even more of a messy look.
* Skip the hairspray ;)